Rediscovering your identity
Now that we’ve defined identity, described potential influences, and touched on the ramifications of losing one’s identity, we are now in a good position to discover or rediscover our individualism.
Discovery necessitates both an inquisitive and open mind. To unearth our true identity is to acknowledge (answer to) certain queries to ultimately bring this true identify to the surface of our consciousness.
It is important to understand that repeated questioning of thoughts, behaviors, and emotions is necessary for this self-discovery to take place. As such, it is suggested that we do so at least once per day, preferably in the morning when we’re about to set out on the journey ahead.
FINALLY, HERE ARE THE QUESTIONS WE SHOULD ASK OURSELVES EACH MORNING:
1. Do I have short-term and long-term goals? What are they?
2. What am I, or have been, ashamed of in my life?
3. What consistently brings about anxiety or a sense of worry?
4. What or who gives me the most comfort? Is this source of comfort healthy?
5. Putting aside fear and uncertainty, what would I love to do?
6. Where and when do I feel safe? Unsafe?
7. What achievement am I proudest of?
8. What does my inner critic say about me? (Write them down)
9. Do I practice self-care and self-compassion? How?
10. What do I have to be grateful for? (There should be something here)
11. What do I dream about? What thoughts or emotions do they bring, if any?
12. Do I enjoy being around people or do I prefer solitude? (Either is fine, just know your tendencies.)
13. What do I most enjoy doing?
14. When my life is dark, what or who do I turn to? Why?
15. When I’m stressed, do I react rationally or impulsively?
(Bonus 5 questions!)
16. Am I an early riser or night owl? Can I make any changes to put my best self forward?
17. What are my passions? Am I living them out?
18. What failure still haunts me to this day? Maybe it’s time to let go?
19. What values do I hold dear? Am I adhering to these values?
20. What are my strengths? Weaknesses? (Write them down)
We sincerely hope that answering these questions reveals a bit more about the special person that is you. Appreciate yourself, love yourself, acknowledge what you’d like to change, and find your true identity!